Monday, July 22, 2002

I don’t know about all these negotiations with the Palestinians. I really don’t.
My gut feeling says “No to negotiating with the Palestinians!”
That is, unless they are negotiations about surrender terms (I know, I’m fantasizing again). They can send emissaries to request relaxation of curfews and other alleviations. But no more than that. Negotiations about surrender terms would allow for extreme generosity on our part . The ensuing dictated peace agreement would lead to the establishment of an independent, democratic Palestinian state, on the basis of Barak’s offers in the camp David summit of August 2000. But this would only be possible after the Palestinians have admitted defeat.

Given the Arabs aversion to calling a spade a spade, we wouldn’t actually call it “surrender” and “defeat”. But the Palestinians would understand that that’s what it is.

I'm dreaming, you say? Yes I am. Unrealistic, you say? Well, that should be their problem, not ours. They could have had Camp David for free. Now they should have to pay for it.

And if my dream doesn’t become a reality anytime soon? Maybe we’ll just have to get used to the idea of lasting it out.

And in the meantime?
In the meantime, a fence. A fence, tenacity and resilience.

Oh, that reminds me of that memory game we used to play when we were kids. We could make up our own war version.
“I went to war and I took with me a fence.”
“I went to war and I took with me a fence and tenacity.”
“I went to war and I took with me a fence, tenacity and a nuke.”
Continue at your leisure, kids.