Sunday, November 10, 2002

As cold as ice?
We've been getting to see quite a bit of Amram Mitzna lately. He's one of three candidates competing for the head of the Labor Party. Right now he looks like he's going to win.

Why don't I like him? Is it because I don't agree with his views? I don't think so. There are a few Israeli politicians with whose views I disagree strongly but can't help liking, and vice versa.

There is something cold and hard about Mitzna that I don't fancy. I don't remember noticing it before. It could be nerves, it could be that he's not accustomed to TV and radio performances yet. Somehow I don't think so. He's been in the public eye as Haifa's mayor for years, and before that, as a high-ranking army officer.

I've heard that, as a commander in the army, he was known as a dedicated professional but not a people's man and not well loved by his subordinates.

Maybe he should keep public appearances to a minimum, so as not to scare away voters with his chilly, supercilious demeanor. Brrrr.