Sunday, November 10, 2002

Love is all you need
Janice Turner shows UK Guardian readers how social activists become nosey, meddling pains-in-the-neck, when they grow up. Beware of your local anti-globalists. They’ll soon move on from spraying McDonald’s to shouting at you for leaving the car engine running, while dropping your kids off at school. It’s happened to me. It can happen to you. I quite agree we should switch off, if we’re stopping for more than half a second, but having it yelled at me at a quarter to eight on a Friday morning (my free day), by a threatening-looking, fuzzy haired lady in a big home-knitted sweater, brandishing a big black umbrella, and piercing me with a self-righteous glare (Oh, and have I mentioned the snappy little dog?), only provoked me to push my foot down on the gas pedal and glare back, to spite. I’m as petty as they come. (Oh, an enemy! Does that count as valor, Mr. Mackay?)