Saturday, February 15, 2003

My bags are packed, I’m ready to go
Our Sis, probably the most efficient person to ever walk this planet, has been a bit worried that her baby sister isn’t yet ready for the war. Needless to say she has a state-of-the-art “safe room”, albeit a bit small for three full size humans, one nearly full size human, one canine and one feline (both smallish), but fully fitted, stocked and operational nevertheless. I’m sure she’ll be happy to be informed that we are now also prepared and ready for every eventuality. The already cluttered entrance to my apartment is now even more cluttered (yes, it is possible, Our Sis) with the essentials, all set and ready for swift and easy conveyance to the security room.

Now that’s sorted out, I really do feel much better. In fact I would now like to point out that I believe the chances of a missile attack on Israel from the direction of Iraq, conventional or otherwise, to be decidedly slim. Of course, there are always other directions and other modi operandi from where and with which our not so neighborly neighbors can lash out at us, but then, wouldn’t life be boring if it always unfolded just as we expected?

And then again, I could be wrong.

Whatever happens, we can take it. And more than that, we’re ready to take it (which doesn’t say we won’t respond). Not just because of what Israel stands to gain. That’s part of it, but not all of it. People who think that that is the reason for ordinary Israelis’ almost wall-to-wall support of this war (yes, even most of the lefties) are completely missing the point, in my view. I personally believe, and I don't think I'm alone in Israel in this belief, that the world stands to gain. And yes, like it or not, Israel is part of the world.

So, USA, this is it. The moment of truth has come. It’s time to show your detractors the stuff you’re really made of. And I’m not just saying this because I’m all ready with my plastic sheeting, my bottled water and my gas masks, but because Steven Den Beste thinks so, too.