Thursday, February 06, 2003

Yes, I do need a joke right now (even an old one)
Is it so obvious, John?

Alisa has sent another one:
A bright, young, fresh-out-of-school auditor just joined the IRS, excited
to begin tracking down high-powered offenders-just as the Enron or
WorldCom guys. Anxious for his first high-powered audit, he was a bit
dismayed when his assignment was to audit a Rabbi.

Looking over the books and taxes were pretty straight forward, and the
Rabbi clearly very frugal, so he thought he'd make his day interesting
by having a little fun with the Rabbi.
"Rabbi," he said, "I noticed that you buy a lot of candles."
"Yes," answered the Rabbi.
"Well, Rabbi, what do you do with the candle drippings?" he asked.
"A good question," noted the Rabbi. "We actually save them up and when we
have enough, we send them back to the candle maker. And every now and
then, they send us a free box of candles."

"Oh," replied the auditor somewhat disappointed that his unusual question
actually had a practical answer. So he thought he'd go on, in his
obnoxious way..."Rabbi, what about all these matzo purchases? What do
you do with the crumbs from the matzo?"
"Ah, yes," replied the Rabbi calmly, "we actually collect up all
the crumbs from the matzo and when we have enough, we send them in a
box back to the manufacturer and every now and then, they send a box
of matzo balls."
"Oh," replied the auditor, thinking hard how to fluster the Rabbi.

"Well, Rabbi," he went on, "what do you do with all the foreskins from the
circumcisions?"
"Yes, here too, we do not waste," answered the Rabbi. "What we do
is save up all the foreskins, and when we have enough we actually send
them to the I.R.S."
"The I.R.S.?," questioned the auditor in disbelief.
"Ahh, yes," replied the Rabbi, " the I.R.S. " ..and about once a
year, they send us a little prick like you."


More and more: I’ve been feeling sorry for myself all day. Now I feel much better. Thanks, Diane.

My youngest heard me laughing out loud at this one and demanded an explanation. Those who know her will appreciate how difficult it is to persuade this child to take no for an answer. They also know she would not rest until she had had a thorough exposition of every word along with examples. Hey, I have to make supper. We compromised. She showed me her dance routine (again). I wish she’d practice for her piano recital as much as she practices that dance routine.

It gets better. I love the blogosphere. Thanks, Steve.