Friday, May 23, 2003

Where am I?
Still can't be bothered with Reshet Bet radio station, which is a sort of radio CNN, giving news all the time. I used to have it on non-stop at work (My job does not require using a brain very often, so my brain is free to do other things). The news seems so repetitive lately. My friend at work fondly calls Reshet Bet "The Piguim (=terrorist attacks) Station" because that's the station you switch to, after a terrorist attack occurs, to get the particulars. They have tuned the interviewing of every idiot who was anywhere near the terrorist attack to a fine art. They are also forever talking to the most annoying commentators they can find on affairs of the day. Needless to say, they just love Yossi Sarid and Dr. Yossi Beilin.

I'm not even in the mood for classical music. Definitely in the pits. I'm listening to stations that play things like ABBA and other such upbeat and annoying oldies. Oldies?! Having ABBA on the oldies shows is bad enough but some of the other stuff they put on the oldies shows really make me feel ancient, stuff I was hearing for the first time, like, yesterday. Anyway, I'm listening to anything happy sounding that I can sing along too. Pretty pathetic but it seems to be working for me. Drives the girls in the next office up the wall though. My singing that is.

Besides that I'm busy preparing for my three day trip to Eilat next week. Eilat season is here in a big way. Everyone has just been, is there at the moment or is going next week. My trip is with work. Bish and the kids are not invited (Which is okay because I read somewhere once that you should take so many days holiday without partner and kids every year). It's one of those dirt-cheap deals that you get through work except that it means you have to spend three days there with your workmates. Now I don't know about you but I have a problem with my male coworkers seeing me in a swimsuit. I don't mind being sociable with them otherwise (even though the effort will probably kill me) or even going dancing with them all in the evening, but the swimsuit thing is probably where I draw the line. I have to work with these people, for goodness sake. I've been experimenting with all sorts of sarong type shmateh's from the back of the closet. Hopefully likeminded female coworkers and I will manage to sneak off to relatively uninhabited beaches. Not that I mean to actually bare my skin to the sun unprotected if at all possible, I'm not in the habit of frying myself, but I like swimming in the sea and the Red Sea is lovely to swim in.

Why am I going if I anticipate such hardship, you ask? Well, it's the same as listening to ABBA on the radio. Escapism, I guess. And it beats working.