Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Hudna log rambling
As a former euphoric, drooling-at-the-mouth Oslo supporter, one of the things that continues to infuriate me most, even at the advent of this cease-ish fire we are experiencing (and I'm not being cynical, well maybe a little bit. Cynical but hopeful), is the feeling that Palestinians and with them most of the world, refuse to recognize our deep historical, cultural, religious and emotional connections to this land and especially to places we will have to vacate, should this cease-ish fire eventually mature into peace and coexistence. This is probably one of the greatest changes in me. I now believe it is crucial that the Palestinians learn to understand and respect our deep connections to this land. If they continue to openly and unabashedly refuse to accept that we are something other than a foreign, unnatural entity here, I doubt I will be able to trust them, or support any peace initiative with my vote.

Before the Terror War, articles like this, written by a Jewish dweller of Hebron would have angered me. I wouldn't have been able to read it. Now I appreciate the sentiment expressed in it. I cannot agree with him. I certainly cannot accept the way this endeavor is carried out, and I am angered by the unnecessary price in human life for both sides caused by their actions, and by their often-criminal behavior towards their neighbors. I believe they will eventually have to be forcibly removed from there. I wish it had been done long ago. But I can better understand where they are coming from. I also feel the pain at the prospect of having to part with a place we see as an important part of our ancient heritage.

Regardless of how difficult it may be, however, I will gladly support such a development, if I feel the Palestinians are capable of appreciating what a great sacrifice this is for us, and of honoring us for it. I have little reason to believe this is the case right now.