Monday, December 01, 2003

A joyous occasion?
I see the unelected Dr. Yossi Beilin is signing a peace treaty for us in Geneva today. I read in the paper that Arafat has allowed the Palestinian delegates to leave for Geneva for the signing. Erm, maybe I should repeat that: Arafat has allowed the Palestinian delegates to leave for Geneva for the signing.

Dr. Beilin has been on Reshet Bet radio station all the time pushing the agreement. Or so I’ve been told. I’ve been listening to Reshet Gimel music station. They’ve recently decided to have Mizrahi (Eastern style) music all through the day and not just in special programs. About time too! This way I get much more of a chance to hear Benayoun, mon amour, during the day. Sometimes even Zohar Argov, of blessed memory. So, unfortunately, Dr. Beilin’s persuasion attempts haven’t had much of an affect on me. Oh and someone must have thrown out the pamphlet we got through the mail, with the full agreement, because I can’t find it anywhere. Not that I have really made much of an effort to search for it.

So maybe some people are very excited about the signing of this agreement, I just don’t happen to know any of them.

Please don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against peace treaties, I'm actually quite partial to them. I just don't see the point of this one. Dr. Yossi Beilin explains that it's to show that we do have partners for negotiation after all. So I say fine, we have partners. Now all we have to do is win the war we're fighting with them and then we can sit down and negotiate peace with them.